October 26, 2017

Canuxploitation: Food of the Gods II

Usually when I write up movies each month, I spend a considerable amount of time researching each film. That's partly because I don't trust myself to remember all movies I watch accurately, but it's also partly so I don't retrospectively impose too much of my personal interpretation onto the film. But the sequel to Food of the Gods is one I have very strong memories of, and I've decided that this is the writeup where I'm going to lay those memories out unfiltered.

Who I was when I watched this film: I didn't start watching horror movies until I was in my late teens. Up until then I didn't know they ranged from silly to absolutely terrifying, so I had avoided them pretty universally. But once I knew there were fun ones out there, I went all in. Those were the heydays, and the height of that was when Tim and I (and our other friend Tim) would rent piles of horror movies from Discount Video, including one Food of the Gods. I can honestly say I remember nothing from that movie, save for the fact that we discovered there was a sequel, and that we DESPERATELY needed to see it.

Oh the horror!!
What happened when we watched it?: We hadn't a clue what kind of specifically strange adventure we were in for when we rented this inexplicable sequel, but what stands out in my memory the most from watching this, is how we changed the title after seeing it to Food of the Gods: part Bobby. This movie is literally a movie about a toddler named Bobby that grows to a monstrous size and terrorizes his increasingly hapless creators. Very likely the inspiration for Honey I Blew Up the Kid (or at least the inspiration for the screenplay Disney ripped off to make the aforementioned movie), because as far as I can remember, it's absolutely not about rats; it's about Bobby the gigantic toddler.

Like what's happening here? I DON'T REMEMBER PEOPLE MELTING!



Ok fine, I'll look it up to see what's what: Oh boy... I CLEARLY need to revisit this flick, as the stills I found around the web feature loads of stuff I don't recall. Were there actually rats in Food 2, or were those just flashbacks to the previous film? When was there so much carnage, how could my memory be so clouded by the giant toddler that I forgot about the gore? So, I'll have to watch this one again, but until that day (and likely after as well), this will be Food of the Gods: part Bobby to me.








No comments:

Post a Comment