February 4, 2020

Colette's Birthday Wildcard: Current Stuff I'm Enjoying

There are so many good movies and shows out right now, here's a list of things I want more people to see, in no particular order.

The Good Place: This is easily my favorite show of recent years. Not only is it incredibly funny and good spirited, it also examines philosophical and moral questions from many different perspectives in every episode. Skip Intro explains best why this show is singularly amazing, so if you want more (spoiler free) reasons to watch this one, give their video here a watch.




Parasite: This movie has so much buzz around it right now it's tempting to write it off, but please don't give into that temptation. I have yet to talk to anyone who didn't love this movie, even people who've only watched it recently as part of their Oscar movie binges! The less you know about this one the better, so watch it while you can still go in with a blank slate.




Knives Out: As I mentioned in my Murder, She Wrote post, I really love this movie. On it's surface it's an excellently crafted who-done-it. One layer down it's a commentary about the current power shift happening in western society. One more layer deep it's about the reactions of western society to that power shift. (It's also easily read as a commentary on the various reactions to Rian Johnson's Star Wars installment, but if you only read it that way, you're missing out.) As a person who loves who-done-its, this one now tops my list of favorites in this genre (second to Clue if you're wondering), as it's honestly a masterpiece on many levels.




VHYES: This one's hard to explain, but if weird-heartwarming stories told through non-linear narratives are your bag, find a way to see this one!




Spiderman: Into the Spider-Verse: This has been out a while, but we recently re-watched it and it's so damn good. If you've not seen it, fix that. If you've already seen it, watch it again because it's so damn good!!




Things I still need to watch but I'm certain I will enjoy: Jojo Rabbit, the final season of Mr. Robot, and all of BoJack Horseman.

No comments:

Post a Comment